Assalammualaikum Wr Wb.. Good Morning!!
hi.. long time no see.. it is quite a long day on updating my new case in SekilasKonservasiGigi.Com, conservative dentistry at a glance.. a mini story of CeritaPasienRio.Com.. 🙂 as you may see, this website would be delivered in english.. although i am from Jakarta, Indonesia..
So, what i am going to share in here is about a glass ionomer cement as an intermediate restoration. the focus is not on the longevity of the GIC material, but how we as a dentist can create a beautiful shape using glass ionomer cement. many dentists asked me about the material, why do i chose GIC rather than Composite resin? was it about the material strenght? or GIC is better than composite resin nowadays? let’s see on my story.. 🙂
A patient came to me with a main complain of a broken tooth filling material in her upper right molar. The tooth colored dental filling was there for almost one year, from the start she used her tooth, she always felt sensitive while or drinking cold beverages, and many times she experienced an entrapped food debris on the proximal area..
1. x-rays image showing an undemined caries in tooth 16 (upper right first molar), there was a big composite filling which loss its retention (fig. 2). the cavity had almost reached the pulp (from the x-ray image).
2. the composite resin appearance, showed a leakage across the marginal line, and a loss of retention, the proximal contact was bad. the previous operator might not be able to pack the composite well, and might not use a propriate proximal matrix.
3. I remove the restoration, and saw many demineralized dentin underneath the restoration.
4. all the infected dentine already removed, and ready to receive a restoration. in here, i checked the tooth vitality once more to make sure the pulpal status. and yup, the pulp was still vital, the dentin was still intact. but, i am not so sure about my diagnosis, so i put GIC rather than composite resin, as an intermediate restoration, until i got a proper diagnosis.
5. I put a sectional matrix, checked the tightness of the edge of the gingival wall and the matrix band. i used palodent plus from Dentsply.
6 and 7. finished glass ionomer placement, and x-ray evaluation showed that all the GIC had been packed well to adapt with cavity margin.
I restored the cavity using glass ionomer cement (Ketac Molar, 3M ESPE), the matrix i used was Palodent Plus. the time lapse was 30 minutes including a polishing and finishing time.
Yup, that’s for my 16th story in SekilasKonservasiGigi.Com, For more stories please visit CeritaPasienRio.Com or browse my fb at facebook.com/RioSuryantoro and instagram.com/Riosuryantoro don’t forget to click the follow botton on your rigth side to get the latest updates from my site.. see you on my next dental story.. thank You Very Much, keep UP the GOOD WORK!! keep on Sharing,
Wassalammualaikum Wr Wb..
-drg. Rio Suryantoro, Sp.KG-